The Société acadienne Sainte-Croix (SASC) is a non-profit organization which was founded in 2001. The society has many members and it partners with groups from the region including the Femmes en action, the Pomquet Museum, and the École acadienne de Pomquet. Partnerships with organizations from other parts of the province are also established and maintained to accomplish our programming goals.
The society is financed in large part by Canadian Heritage for its annual programming and for individual projects, and by Service Canada who helps us create summer jobs for returning students aged 15 to 30. The Municipality of the County of Antigonish sponsors events such as the festivities during the National Day of the Acadians on August 15th of every year.
We are located in the small Acadian village of Pomquet which has maintained its French heritage throughout the years.
Our office hours are: Monday to Friday 9:00am-2:30pm. Appointments are recommended.
The Femmes en action group (Active Women):
Not just for women, this 50+ group meets every Thursday mornings at 9:30am at the SASC community room. The participants do some stretching and low-impact aerobic exercises followed by games that keep them moving. Then, they have a healthy brown bag lunch together. A great way to get your exercise, eat healthy, and socialize in a friendly French atmosphere!
The Pomquet Museum:
Religious artefacts, and carpenter`s and farmer`s tools are on display. Also, the Pomquet Heritage Club has an extensive collection of genealogical information.
Summer hours: Monday to Friday 9:00am to 4:00pm
Off-season tours: Call 386-2671 or 386-2090
The Société acadienne Sainte-Croix`s mission:
To reinforce the cultural and linguistic life of the Acadian and French community in Pomquet and its surrounding area.
The SASC realises its mission by:
- Being a spokesperson for the Acadian and French community in Pomquet and its surrounding area
- Ensuring effective consultation between its members and its partners.
- Initiating cultural projects and programming activities for everyone and offering training in a timely fashion.
- Increasing the visibility of the Acadian and French community in Pomquet and its surrounding area
Our Board of Directors:
Frank Comeau, President
Francine Clément-Fraser, Secretary
Monique Bond community member
Bernice Doiron community member
Travis Landry, Ecole acadienne de Pomquet member
Executive Director: Paul Gagnon
We have a board meeting once a month (no meetings during the summer months), consult the Activities Calendar (Calendrier d`activités) for meeting (Réunion du CA) dates and information. The public is welcomed to attend as an observer. All business is conducted in French.
Our Annual General Meeting is held on the first Tuesday of November, consult the Activities Calendar for details by mid-October. The public is welcomed to attend. Participants must register in advance and must be members in good standing to have the right to vote. All business is conducted in French.
How to become Member:
Membership fee is $5.00 per year. Contact us for a membership form or download the bilingual form by clicking on the Documents button. Once the membership form and fee are accepted, you will receive the current year`s membership card.
Advantages of being a Member:
- being a part of the Acadian and French community and culture
- express yourself through your heritage and culture
- have a voice that can be heard
- receive the most recent regional, provincial, and federal information of the Acadian and French community
- support our core program and projects
- share your ideas
- acquire experience in leadership
- acquire experience as a presenter
- acquire experience in event organisation
- share your passions (eg. art, music, dance, governance, finance, justice, health, recreation, technology, entrepreneurship, etc.)
- improve your spoken or written French language skills
Want to help? Here`s how:
We are always looking for volunteers to help out with workshops, and cultural event planning and organization. We offer a safe and welcoming atmosphere where you can share your valuable knowledge, talents, and skills. If you have a passion for the arts, music, or dance and want to share with others, that`s even better. We also offer you an opportunity to enhance your French language skills. Contact us to find out more.
We also accept monetary donations although we cannot remit a tax receipt as we are not a registered charity with Revenue Canada.
Contact us by:
Société acadienne Sainte-Croix
1154 Pomquet Monks Head Rd
Antigonish, NS B2G 2L4
Telephone: (902) 386-2679
Fax: (902) 735-3069